In the mood to treat yourself with the festive season fast approaching? Get your whisk out and get baking with this simple classic dessert.
Whether you’re throwing a party or just want a post meal sweet treat for your friends and family, just grab a few basic ingredients and whip up a sumptuous dessert in no time. Beware of the sugar rush though!
What you will need:
3 eggs (whites and yolks separated)
130 grams icing sugar
250 g mixed berries
2 tbsp castor sugar
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup of water
A dash of vanilla extract
What you need to do:
1. Begin by pre heating your oven to 180°c.
2. In a large bowl, whip the egg whites and sugar together until it forms stiff peaks.
3. Add in the vanilla essence and incorporate well.
4. Put the meringue mix into a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe onto a baking tray line with parchment paper.
5. Let the meringue rest on the tray for around 20 minutes and then bake it in the oven for around 7-10 minutes.
6. Remove the bake meringue from the oven and set it aside to cool.
7. To make the berry coulis, add the berries, sugar and water in a heated pan and cook until the berries are soft in texture and most of the water has evaporated, leaving behind a thick sauce.
8. Add the lemon juice into the mix and stir well.
9. Take it off the heat and keep aside to rest.
10. Once both the elements have cooled down, plate them together and serve with a few fresh berries or whipped cream on the side.
* You can choose to make the berry coulis with any berry of your choice.
* Make sure to let the meringue rest before and after baking it. Keep an eye on it while baking.
* Store the meringue and coulis in the fridge.