This classic American comfort food has gotten most us through the coldest winter days and the most intense cheesy cravings. And while a piping how bowl of mac and cheese is the ultimate salvation on its own, a little twist to this classic is only more giving.
So, here’s a recipe that will help you take your love for this indulgent dish up a notch. I would advise staying away from counting calories for a while though.
What you will need:
2 cups macaroni
2 cups of cheese (cheddar)
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
What you need to do:
(For the Mac & Cheese)
- Begin by boiling the pasta. Once boiled strain and keep aside.
- In a heavy bottom pan, add in the butter and 1/4th of the flour while constantly stirring for 5 mins. Put in the salt, pepper, cheese and milk and mix well. Cook until the consistency is thick.
- To this, add the boiled pasta, mix and let it cook for around 2 minutes. Take off the heat and keep aside to cool.
(For the Doughnuts)
- Keep the mac and cheese in the fridge for a few hours until cold and sturdy.
- Whisk and eggs in a bowl and mix in the cold mac and cheese. Scoop and shape in doughnut moulds to get the desired look.
- Mix the flour and seasoned bread crumbs on a plate.
- De-mould the doughnuts and coat well with the flour mixture.
- Keep in the fridge for around 5 minutes and deep fry until golden brown.
- Serve with a dip and salad on the side.
* Make sure the oil is hot enough before you fry the doughnuts.
* Coat the doughnuts extremely well with the four and breadcrumbs. Double coat if necessary.
* If you want, you can add chopped meat in the mac and cheese mixture before you put it in the fridge as well.