Christmas is just days away and no better way to celebrate it than with cake, right? But this Christmas, ditch the regular rum cake and try this delicious liqueur cake! Merry Christmas! ❤
What you need:
2 tbsp of Amaretto (almond based liqueur)
50 grams of butter (unsalted)
1 large egg
1/2 cup of castor sugar
1/8 tsp of baking powder and baking soda
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp of vanilla essence
1/8 cup of milk
½ cup mixed dried fruits
For the syrup:
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp Amaretto
What you need to do:
1. Start by pre-heating your oven to 200°c.
2. In a bowl, add in half a cup of mixed dry fruits and a dash of the liquor. Let it soak for a while.
3. In the meantime, cream together the butter and sugar.
4. Add in the egg along with the vanilla essence, milk, and amaretto and mix well.
5. Put in all the dry ingredients along with the soaked dry fruits and incorporate until the mixture is smooth.
6. Add this to a well-greased baking tin and bake at 180°c for about 15-20 minutes or until completely cooked and golden brown on all sides.
7. Get it out of the oven and let it cool.
8. For the syrup by boil together the water, sugar and amaretto until all the sugar is dissolved.
9. Once the cake and the syrup have completely cooled, de-mould it and make small holes in the cake with the help of a toothpick. Slowly pour this syrup on the cake.
10. Decorate the cake by dusting the icing sugar and top it off with a little more nuts.
* If you don’t have Amaretto, you can use any other almond based or even coffee based liqueur.
* For everyone who does not drink, you can add almond paste or a coffee concoction instead of the liqueur.
* Make sure the cake and the syrup are completely cooled before you pour the syrup on the cake.
* Make this cake a day in advance for better taste and texture.